Further research of the Medicine Now

07th November 2018 21:35

I did some further second research on the contents of the Medicine Now exhibition. In the last release of blog, you can see the series of bones X-rays. As I’ve mentioned, X-ray as a common medical diagnostic method, it has been widely used in clinical practice, especially in the case of bone fracture. So I found a book which is called ‹‹X-RAY ART››, Nick Veasey’s works. The following is an excerpt from this book. And the most influential part of him is to make dramatic human body in the form of X-ray in certain scenes:

Compare the size of the people serving the plane to the plane itself, or lose yourself inspecting the people on th bus. The complexity of the human from when you can see through it has added organic qualities. When placed in some kind of context, there is something uncomfortable in thr relation of the body to man made surroundings. The “people” in my x-ray situations are all saying “hey, look at me!” but in fact, we are looking right through them.

‹‹The Human Body›› — editor-in-chief Dr Tony Smith, first published in Great Britain in 1995, Jonathan Reed is the publisher. This book is about the structure and function of human organs and microcells. Combined with the human body I observed in the museum, I can get a better understanding of human body structure. And here are some knowledge estreated about digestive system for your reference:

THE TASK OF THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM is the physical and chemical breakdown of food. All the energy the body needs and the raw materials for growth and repair of body structures come from ingested food and drink. After ingestion, food and fluids are processed by the digestive organs into small nutrient molecules that can be absorbed from the intestines, and circulated around the body. Food that cannot be digested becomes waste material or faeces, which is eliminated from the body by defaecation. Digestion is coordinated by the hypothalamus, hormones, and nerves.

There is another book written in nineteenth Century surgery —‹‹Crucial Interventions››. The first published in the UK in 2015 by Thames&Hudson Ltd, and cooperation with Wellcome Collection, design by Daniel Streat at Barnbrook. This book has a large number of human anatomy, and with the introduction of anesthesia and preservation technology, surgical technology has made great progress. At that time, medical care was not so developed, and doctors were higher than surgeons in any sense. They were looking for a way not to make patients too painful. I have an impression of such a cruel content:

In this illustration we see a medieval dissection: a physician, seated in a chair like a bishop’s throne and clad in a sumptuous velvet robe and cap, reads from a text by Aristotle or Galen. Below him a surgeon, the sleeves of his doublet rolled up and a long, cruel knife in his hands, cuts open the corpse of an executed criminal.